Wednesday, June 3, 2015

5 Camping Essentials for the Non-Camper

Last June we started a camping tradition: we would pick a starting point, camp there for a couple of nights and then go wherever we felt like from there.

It started by accident; last spring we decided to go to Moab, Utah to camp for two nights. We hiked during the day and sat by the campfire at night and we were having a great time so we decided to continue on to the Grand Canyon. After two days there, we made our way back to Colorado via Mesa Verde where we spent our last night. Last year's trip was one of our favorite trips of all time (we both wrote about it here) and now we're looking forward to our second annual spontaneous camp trip.


The kicker is: I didn't grow up camping and prior to last year's trip, I had a self-imposed camping limit of two nights (now it's up to five!). I always thought that I would prefer to stay in a hotel with down comforters and hot showers, but camping can be a great, inexpensive way to explore new areas. Here are a few things that I like to bring with me to stretch a two day trip into a five day trip:





Dry shampoo. This is a lifesaver and I would never go camping without it since it's rare that you get to wash your hair on a camp trip. I first read about the Klorane brand here, and have been addicted to it ever since.

Face wipes. Instead of washing my face - which can be difficult without a sink - I use these wipes in the morning and at night and then put on sunscreen (morning) or face cream (night). I also use them to clean my feet at night because I can't stand the feeling of dirt between my toes, which is inevitable when camping.

Greens! Camping isn't always conducive to eating lots of fruits and veggies which can make you feel blah after a few days...but I always bring a bag of Sunfood's Green Superfood mix. You can mix a teaspoon into a glass of water and it's such a good boost.

Boxed wine. You don't have to worry about the glass bottle breaking and it's easy to store at night. Plus, the boxes are big and will last for several days.

A hammock and magazines. Part of the fun of camping is to just relax. We recently bought this hammock which you can attach to trees (or the side of your car and a tree) and it's perfect for chilling out and reading magazines in (or books - I'm bringing this book on our trip and I'm so excited to start it).

----------------

We're heading out this morning for who knows how long (!), starting in Sand Dune National Park. Any tips for that area?

No comments:

Post a Comment